Published between July and September 1966, this scarce set of Dutch counterculture periodical ‘Image. Witte Pers Zondagsblad’ consists of eight mimeographed issues. Based in Amsterdam, the magazine affiliated with the Provo movement, was made by activists and anarchists. With contributions by Duco van Weerlee, Rob Stolk, Hans Tuynman, Peter Bronkhorst, Th. Holterman, Jan de Leeuw, Louis van Abcoude (L. Heyermans) and Nico van Apeldoorn. Articles on local and international political issues, dated reports, articles on police violence, anti-authoritarian, anti-war, happenings, and more. The last four issues focus on a single topic such as flowers, women, men and smoke/smoking. As written on page two of the issue seven, a second edition was produced and 1000 copies were confiscated by the police, because of the last paragraph on the IJ tunnel.
1. Image No.1. Content: The Peaceful Revolution; The White Press, White Cinema, White Television etc.; Vietnam; Ghana; Put the Sick and Ill in the New Dutch Bank and Vice Versa; Statistics on Sex; A New Word for the Concise Anarchistic Dictionary; Happening News. Size: 34 x 21.5 cm.
2. Image No.2. Content: Devious Advertisements; Military Prison Nieuwersluis; Rusk, The Villain of Vietnam?; Where to “Store” Your Newborn in your Too Small Apartment - White Trash Plan; Amsterdam Magic Centre by Rob Stolk. Size: 34 x 21.5 cm.
3. Image No.3. Content: Cover drawing with in ‘In Memoriam for Mayor Van Hall’. Jazz; The White Rumour; Letter from a Provo at Sea; Committee Against the Burning of Beatles Records Because of Lennon’s “We Are More Popular Than Christ”. Size: 34 x 21.5 cm.
4. Image No.4. Content: Open Letter to President Tito of Yugoslavia; Letter from Peter Bronkhorst to the Courts Complaining About His Arrest at a Recent Happening Where He Was Dragged by His Hair For About 30 Meters by the Police (with two pictures in this issue); Letter from R. Stolk, P. Bronkhorst, H. Tuynman and L.V. Nimwegen to Her Cover by Ubbo Voute. Majesty the Queen to Give the Empty Amsterdam Palace to the Youth of Amsterdam; Poem by Hans Tuynman; The Chinese Nuclear Bomb; A Rational Analysis of Objections Against Provo. Contains as an Extra Page With a Letter to the Legal Authorities to Complain About Police Brutality During Demonstrations And Happenings. Size: 29.4 x 20.6 cm.
5. Image No.5. Content: Special Flower Issue. Dutch Anthem “Wilhelmus van Nassouwe”; Freedom for Beat; Simon Carmiggelt; Anti-Fascism; Tourists Tips for Provos: Groningen; Back Cover Cartoon by Ronald. From the Collection of Olaf Stoop (Real Free Press). Size: 29.4 x 20.6 cm.
6. Image No.6. Content: Women Special. Chinese Revolution; Letter From a German Girl Who Wants to Become a Provo; Letter From Provo On How To Become a Provo; Poem by Nico; Cartoon by Ronald. Version With Black Cover (a version with a red cover exists as well). Size: 29.4 x 20.6 cm.
7. Image No.7. Content: Men Special. The White Clerks Plan; If You Are a Policeman - Poem by Jhr. Leon van Amstel; Poetry; Cartoon by Ronald. (This version does not have the mimeographed handwritten note on page 2 that 1000 copies were confiscated by the police, because of the last paragraph on that page). Size: 29.4 x 20.6 cm.
8. Image No.8. Content: Special Smoke Issue. Prostitution; The White Blow Plan; The Queen; Police Poem; Political Party D '66; Police Brutality; Poem “Defending Provo”, by well known poet Lucebert (Reproduced from Maatstaf); Drawings by Ronald; Reproduction of the official paper to imprison Frans Cornelis Drost. Size: 29.7 x 21 cm.
Amsterdam: Provo, 1966.
First edition 4to (0) Softcover Issue No.1: 6 sheets, Issue No.2: 6 sheets, Issue No.3: 6 sheets, Issue No.4: 8 sheets, Issue No.5: 7 sheets, Issue No.6: 6 sheets, Issue No.7: 5 sheets, Issue No.8: 3 sheets Texts in Dutch Single side-stapled. Mimeograph printed.
Overall fine. Item ID: 1146.